There is a country of the region that has its own educational invention: the Systems of Education ( Teaching Systems) of Brazil. This “old innovation” is being reinvented and expanded throughout Latin America.
The Systems of Education are a true Brazilian educational invention. They were born in the 1960s before two conditions of the country: the limited state educational offer and the vestibular examination of completion of secondary school. A little present state led to large failures that were covered by the private market. And the vestibular exam was a great incentive to prepare the students with external support to the schools.
What are Teaching Systems ? They are integral devices of pedagogical support to the schools that have as central vehicle of entrance to the textbooks. Almost all work with the same logic: the school enters the system integrally, paying a monthly or annual fee for each student. That fee is the entrance ticket to a package of services and the delivery of textbooks for each student.
What services ? In almost all cases, the systems offer the following answers:
- Exclusive access educational portals.
- Management systems, forums and web 2.0 for the exclusive use of teachers, parents and students.
- Pedagogical advice and administration or marketing of schools.
- Distance support through online or telephone consultations with specialists for each learning area.
- Continuous diagnostic evaluation of students.
- Computers, tablets or optional equipment for schools and students.
The most known systems in Brazil are the following:
- Positive , the most widespread, with approximately one million students (half of the public sector and half of the private sector).
- Anglo of the Abril Publishing House, with more than 600 schools.
- Name , of Pearson, with arrival to 140 municipalities and more than 200 thousand students.
- Ethical , Saraiva publishing house, with more than 600 schools and 150 thousand students.
- COC of Pearson Publishing, with 370 schools and 160,000 students.
- Objective , with more than 700 schools and agreements with more than 30 municipalities.
- Pythagoras , original from Belo Horizonte.
There are many other smaller ones, like FTD, Stage, Polyhedron, Pueri Domus, Jean Piaget, Seta, FTD or Maxi. Each one has its own identity but the same logic. They are almost “parallel states”, which perform all the functions of a Ministry of Education, with comprehensive support to schools.
The Systems of Education have expanded massively in Brazil. This is not new but it is happening at a much faster rate than before. The novelty is that the Education Systems are jumping the territorial borders of their country of origin . It is no longer a local invention, but a great device in Latin America, which does not seem to take place in other parts of the world.
Major publishers have made the leap to the creation of their own teaching systems. UNO is the Santillana system, which we have seen as one of the 10 innovations selected for its original and ambitious pedagogical proposal. EDUCA is the Kapelusz system, another leading educational publishing house in the region.
The keys to the renewed and expansive event in the region seem to have at least three secrets:
1-The role of technologies and the digitization of content allows to expand the boundaries of the Systems of Education at a low cost and with great added values for the schools.
2-The expansion of the national examinations of pupils makes more and more countries require particular support and schools seek help to better prepare their students for testing.
3-Systems have an integrated approach that makes your business sustainable and efficient. They act “in the mirror” with the hardware (portals, computers, books, management systems, etc.) and software (educational content for each teaching area).
For more information about brazil education system. Click here.